This article is a discussion of the general purpose of DOSBox SVN builds, and a list of which known public ones exist and where to get them. The first part is a FAQ covering various questions regarding DOSBox SVN builds; it is followed by a listing, description of and links to known SVN builds, as well as a selection of useful related links.
- 1 SVN Builds FAQ
- 2 List of SVN Builds
- 3 Useful Links
SVN Builds FAQ
What are SVN builds?
SVN builds are versions of DOSBox that people have built from the latest version of the DOSBox source code, which is stored on sourceforge.net in something called an SVN repository. SVN builds contain changes that have been made by the DOSBox developers since the latest official release. Some enhanced SVN builds also contain unofficial features and fixes that have been created by enthusiasts in the DOSBox development community.
Why should I use an SVN build?
Every so often a new official version of DOSBox is released. However, active development continues between releases, with new features and fixes continuously added to DOSBox's SVN repository that eventually result in the next release. If you're having trouble running a game with the current DOSBox release, it's worth trying an SVN build to see if the problem has been addressed since then. You may also want access to the new features or optimizations if you are having compatibility or performance issues.
Which one should I use?
That's up to you. Consult the list below to see which features the different builds contain and decide which one you want to try first. If you are interested in trying an SVN build in hopes that it will fix a problem you're having in the latest release version, you should probably start with a "plain" (no-enhancements) SVN build. Also, see replies to this post from the maintainers for additional info on their builds.
How do I use it?
Some SVN builds come packaged as a fully-functional DOSBox distribution, so you can simply unpack the archive into an empty folder and run it. Other builds contain only a custom dosbox executable binary (e.g. dosbox.exe) and possibly some supporting libraries, and require that you first install the latest official release of DOSBox and then unpack the SVN build over the top of it - replacing the release versions of the files with the SVN versions. Some developers also recommend regenerating your dosbox.conf configuration file so that you will see any new config options that have been added. Consult this forum thread for info on how to regenerate a config file.
What do I do if I find bugs in an SVN build?
First, search the DOSBox community forums to see if it's already been reported. If it hasn't, post as much information as possible (see the help request guidelines). Update: Note that bugs in plain SVN builds are probably the only ones of interest to the DOSBox developers. Problem reports for the other builds should be addressed to their respective maintainers, as problems could be caused by experimental patches that aren't part of the official SVN source code.
Where can I go to talk about SVN builds? (forum thread)
Please feel free to discuss SVN build-related topics in the forum thread where this article originally started.
List of SVN Builds
Plain/vanilla/clean SVN builds
The following SVN builds are based directly off of the official DOSBox SVN source code. Use these builds to test the latest official SVN changes.
- Last updated: April 12, 2010
- URL: http://www.emucr.com/search/label/DOSBox
- Notes: Updated a few times a week. Haven't tried these myself yet; thanks to NoVaTuRiEnT for pointing them out.
- Tharos (by XTale)
- Last updated: March 28, 2010
- URL: http://builds.tharos-online.de/index.php?dir=&sort=date&order=desc
- Notes: Daily builds seem to have stopped as of 3/28/10.
Enhanced SVN builds
The following SVN builds contain additional fixes and/or features that are not officially part of DOSBox. Many people prefer them due to the included extra features that are not included in in the SVN. Note that if you have problems with these builds, it may be due to the unofficial changes that have been made by their maintainers and not the official DOSBox code itself that is to blame.
- Last updated: October 21, 2010
- URL: http://ykhwong.x-y.net/
- URL: http://cafe.daum.net/dosbox
- Description: The Windows build incorporates Direct3D with pixelshaders, OpenglHQ, Innovation, Glide, zip/7z mount, Beep, NE2000 Ethernet, Graphis user interface (menu), Save/Load states, Vertical sync, CPU flags optimization, Various DOS commands (PROMPT, VOL, LABEL, MOUSE, etc) and CONFIG.SYS commands (DEVICE, BUFFERS, FILES, etc), Continuous turbo key, Core-switch key, Show details (from menu bar), Nice DOSBox icon, Font patch (cp437), COPY CON feature, MAKEIMG command, INTRO, Ctrl-break patch, DBCS support patch, Automatic mount, Printer output, MT-32, MP3CUE, Overscan border, Stereo-swap, SDL_Resize, MemSize128, etc.
- OS: Windows, Linux
- DOSBox "Mega Build" series (by H-A-L-9000)
- Last updated: September 13, 2009
- URL: http://home.arcor.de/h-a-l-9000/
- Description: Builds of DOSBox focused on serial/networking support.
- Last Updated: July 9, 2009
- URL: http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/
- Description: Build of DOSBox focused on GLIDE support.
- Last Updated: May 12, 2010
- URL: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?p=186679#186679
- Description: Debian Linux APT packaged version of DOSBox with Glide support.
- "UBER BUILD" (by Virusek)
- Last Updated: July 23, 2010
- URL: http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?p=193022#193022
- Description: All patches from gulikoza's build (coreswitch, direct3d, glide, mt32, openglhq, physfs, NE2000, printer and oplpassthrough). Updated Glide patch by gulikoza to 24.11.2009. SDL_sound support. Some other small fixes (mostly VS2010 compatibility fixes).
These builds are for other Operating Systems and are not in any way supported by the DOSBox team.
- DOSBox 0.72 for AmigaOS 4.0
- Last updated: June 14, 2009
- URL: http://www.os4depot.net/share/emulation/computer/dosbox.lha
- URL: http://www.os4depot.net/index.php?function=browse&cat=emulation/computer
- DOSBox for OS/2
- Last updated: September 17, 2010
- URL: http://www.joschs-robotics.de/dosbox/
- URL: http://www.os2site.com/sw/emulators/dosbox/index.html
- DOSBox v0.60 for Dreamcast
- Last Updated: ??? (release dates not currently provided on the linked web site)
- URL: http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/dcdoxbox.shtml
- DOSBox for GP2x
- Last updated: January 3, 2009
- URL: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,72,2534
- URL: http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/DosBox
- DOSBox for IRIX
- Last Updated: ??? (release dates not currently provided on the linked web site)
- URL: http://www.enosnusnu.de/index.php?/archives/98-DOSBox-on-IRIX.html
- URL: http://www.spam-filter.de/dosbox/dosbox_on_irix
- Notes: Link seems to now redirect to spam-filter.de. I added a link to a DOSBox on IRIX page on that site, but it doesn't appear to have a binary.
- DOSBox for PSP
- DOSBox for Pocket PC (by n0p)
- Last updated: July 6, 2009
- URL: http://n0p.tonych.info/?DOSBox_PPC
- DOSBox 0.70 Optimized for PXA270 (iwmmxt)
- pDOSBox for Pocket PC
- aDOSBox 0.73 for Android OS
Obsolete SVN/CVS builds
These builds are no longer maintained and are listed here for historical reference.
- DOSBox CVS for Linux (by Moe)
- Last updated: December 15, 2006
- URL: http://garni.ch/dosbox/
- Description: Recently Moe has decided to provide a DOSBox Linux (x86, 32-bit, Athlon64-optimized) binary including some useful patches. It is built against latest CVS and includes at least these patches: addkey, adlib optimize, Innovation SSI-2001, Self-Modifying-Code optimizations, SVGA chipsets, CD-Image cycling, Glide emulation, Printer emulation.
- Notes: Moe is also the creator of OPENGL-HQ. OPENGL-HQ is another scaler that is implemented in SDL.dll. Unfortunately it may be some time (or never), until OPENGL-HQ is implemented in the official SDL so until then you'll have to download it from here (or compile it yourself). Neat thing about this is that you can use this SDL.DLL with any SDL program (e.g. DOSBox, SCUMMVM...).
- DOSBox for Mac OSX (by rhoenie/Marcus Herbert)
- Last updated: August 9, 2008
- URL: http://www.spam-filter.de/bastelstunde#dosbox
- Description: DosBox 0.72 for G3 & DosBox CVS for OSX (G4/G5/i386)
- DOSBox with MT-32 emulation (by Canadacow)
- Last updated: October 15, 2004
- URL: http://www.artworxinn.com/alex/downloads.htm
- Description: This build is no longer useful; it was made before DOSBox 0.63 came out and contains MT-32 emulation code that is much older than the current Munt releases. Note that more current MT-32 emulation is also included as an unofficial feature of some of the newer SVN builds.
The following links list the latest changes to the official DOSBox source code on its sourceforge.net SVN repository:
- URL: http://source.dosbox.com/dosboxsvn.txt (auto-generated changelog provided by Qbix)
- URL: http://dosbox.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dosbox/?view=log (auto-generated changelog created by sourceforge.net)
- URL: http://github.com/Henne/dosbox-svn/commits/master (auto-generated changelog of unofficial git clone of DOSBox SVN)
- URL: http://dosbox.linuxsecured.net/dosboxcvs.txt - broken link as of 10/25/10
- URL: http://cvscompile.aep-emu.de/cl/dosboxChangeLog.txt - broken link as of 10/25/10
SVN build news
The following link(s) provide news related to DOSBox SVN builds:
- URL: http://www.emucr.com/search/label/DOSBox (EmuCR posts with DOSBox tag, which includes news regarding DOSBox SVN builds, frontends and other DOSBox ports)
Qbix has a thread on the DOSBox forum containing links to some special DOSBox builds that have a built-in debugger:
Making your own SVN build
The following DOSBoxWiki article discusses the process of making your own SVN build from the official DOSBox SVN source code:
- URL: BuildingDOSBox
Snapshot of latest DOSBox SVN source code
Snapshots of the latest SVN versions of the DOSBox source code are available at the following URL(s) :
- URL: http://source.dosbox.com/dosboxsvn.tgz (auto-generated tarball provided by Qbix)
- URL: http://dosbox.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dosbox/dosbox/trunk/?view=tar (auto-generated tarball created by sourceforge.net)
- URL: http://sourceforge.net/scm/?type=svn&group_id=52551 (sourceforge.net instructions for accessing official DOSBox SVN repository)
- URL: http://dosbox.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/dosbox/dosbox/trunk/ (sourceforge.net SVN browser for official DOSBox SVN repository)
- URL: http://github.com/Henne/dosbox-svn (unofficial git clone of DOSBox SVN; auto-generated tarballs are also available there)
- URL: http://dosbox.linuxsecured.net/dosboxcvs.tgz - broken link as of 10/25/10