|Publisher||Maxis, Electronic Arts|
|Status||Works without sound|
|Tested game version||Unknown|
|Works with DOS32A||N/A|
SimCity 2000 was the sequel to SimCity, and was released to multiple platforms. This article refers to the MS-DOS version.
Making it work
The game includes an INSTALL.EXE which sets the video and sound cards, however for the sound card, it reports a failure to verify the Sound Blaster, and other, cards. Setting the correct IRQ/DMA/port settings does not seem to help.
Please update this article if you have information which will let this game work with sound and music.
- 01 October 2009 by Iskai:
- Tested DOSBox 0.72 on Windows Vista Ultimate x64
- Video, sound, and music all work fine after running "install.exe" and setting Sound to "Sound Blaster Pro 2" for music and "Sound Blaster Pro" for SFX. Occasional music glitches, but still usable. Not running as administrator and UAC is enabled.
- 21 March 2009 by autofyrsto:
- Tested DOSBox 0.72 on Ubuntu 8.10: Intrepid Ibex
- Video, sound, and music all work fine after running "install.exe" and switching video to "VESA" and Sound to "Sound Blaster".
- I've found the demo version of SimCity 2000 to be packaged without sound capabilities. If you are not getting any sound at all, and running "install.exe" does not provide options for configuring sound, you may have the demo version. The full version will have a "SOUND" subfolder, and will have options for configuring sound when running "install.exe"
- 22 June 2008 by HB:
- Tested on Fedora 9, with repository RPM: dosbox.i386 0.72-4.fc9.
- Mouse works fine, but sound and music is lacking.
- 23 August 2008 by Anonymous:
- Tested on Windows XP SP2, with DOSBox 0.72. SC200 V. 1.0 (12/06/04) CD-ROM with Urban Renewal kit. (No CD boot, just install)
- Mouse and music worked OK but SFX were lacking. Reseted SFX setup to Sound Blaster Compatile with HEX 220 - IRQ 7 - DMA 1 and it worked! but not all the time, seems to be rather random.
- Kamnet 09:04, 16 November 2008 (UTC)
- Tested on Windows XP SP3, with DOSBox 0.72, SC2000 v. 1.0.1 (09/26/1994) CD-ROM (installed to HDD)
- Mouse and music working OK. Sound card set to Sound Blaster AWE32, IO 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1, sounds just like I remember it!
- 12 December 2008 by Shadow:
- Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit Quad core phenom processor and 4gb ram. DOSbox 0.72Had to run as administrator if not on runs and crashes.Both sound and mouse work fine. Game runs really weird in full screen. All kinds of artifacts and flashing colors. Switching back to window mode seems to fix this problem. Default settings from install.exe were used. I don't know the version of the game.
- 23 January 2009 by Anonymous
- Tested with MAC OS X 10.5.6, PowerPC G4 1,25 GHz, 512 MB DDR SDRAM, SC2k version 1.1 and DOSBox 0.72.
- VESA Super VGA, MPU-401 General MIDI and Sound Blaster Pro. Everything worked fine.
- 3 March 2009 by Tim Harig (http://ilthio.net)
- Doxbox 0.72 on Linux x86: Intro works great, with sound; but, crashes when trying to start a new city reporting: DOS/4GW Professional fatal error (1000): transfer stack overflow".
- 13 March 2009 by Ben
- Tested on DosBox 0.72,win2k. Music and all worked fine in WINDOWED mode using the default .conf file and SB16 for music and SFX. I found in FULL-SCREEN mode(after trying many different settings)that the game doesn't seem to recognize RAM sizes with double figures, tried 16 (default) and 32, and (strange considering WINDOWED mode ran seemingly perfectly) ran really badly, including crashing with the "DOS/4GW Professional fatal error (1000): transfer stack overflow" when trying do too much more than move the very sticky cursor around. I had to set memsize=8 and cycles=max to overcome the fullscreen issues
- 10 August 2009 by Aaron of Mpls
- DOSBox 0.73 on Windows XP Pro SP2; 2.8 GHz Pentium D; 2 GB RAM.
- SimCity 2000 v 1.00.
- Game seems to run OK (music and sound effects work) with:
- DOSBox: defaults
- SimCity 2000: Video VESA Super VGA; Music and sound both Sound Blaster 16.
- I usually don't have other programs open when SimCity 2000 is running full-screen.
If you use any cheat that gives you money, be careful that you do not accrue $2bn or the variable that stores your cash will overflow and you will suddenly have minus $2bn, which bankrupts your city and ends the game.