Difference between revisions of "GAMES:Star Wars: Dark Forces"
|Line 6:||Line 6:|
Revision as of 20:37, 4 April 2008
|Star Wars: Dark Forces|
|Tested on||SE 1.0L (Build 1)|
|Tested game version||Unknown|
|Works with DOS32A||N/A|
Star Wars: Dark Forces is first-person shooter (with no network capabilities) that is halfway between the basic playability of Doom and the advanced playability of Duke Nukem 3D.
D:\DARKSE\DARK\INSTALL.EXE has a special requirement. You must MOUNT the entire CD-ROM drive and only then "CD" your way into it (in other words: you can't just directly mount DARK itself). Here is how to do it:
Z:\>mount d d:\ Z:\>d: D:\>cd DARKSE D:\DARKSE>install
Making it work
The game will run quite well in DOSBox, but there are two points to note:
- Run SETUP.EXE (it will also run automatically after a successful completion of the installation) and choose your settings.
- While the game has no CD protection per se, there is no choice for a full installation. Therefore, most of the game is played directly from the CD-ROM. Use this dosbox.conf file to support that behavior:
[autoexec] mount d d:\ -t cdrom
(assuming your CD-ROM drive is D, of course)
Making it work without the CD
Since the game has no CD protection, but also no choice for a full installation, here is a way to copy just the needed files from the CD-ROM and thus simulate a CD-free full installation:
- Install the game. For this example, let's assume you installed it to c:\games\DARKSE\
- Create c:\games\DARKSE\CD
- Copy D:\CD.ID to c:\games\DARKSE\CD\
- Create c:\games\DARKSE\CD\DARKSE
- Create c:\games\DARKSE\CD\DARKSE\DARK
- Copy every GOB file that doesn't already exist in c:\games\DARKSE\ to c:\games\DARKSE\CD\DARKSE\DARK\
- Create c:\games\DARKSE\CD\DARKSE\DARK\LFD
- Copy every LFD file that doesn't already exist in c:\games\DARKSE\LFD\ to c:\games\DARKSE\CD\DARKSE\DARK\LFD\
- Put this dosbox.conf file in c:\games\DARKSE\ :
[autoexec] mount d cd -t cdrom
Now you can play the game without the CD!
If you want the game to run better and faster, don't forget to replace its DOS4GW.EXE file (e.g. c:\games\DARKSE\DOS4GW.EXE) with DOS32A.